Information technology jobs or IT jobs are on an upward trend and pay very well. If you are on the job search for an IT role, this is the guide to the IT interview questions and topics you need to know to succeed in the job interview process.
Before You Apply
Before you begin the application process, know the information technology roles and industry well.
IT roles involve collaborating with every business function to develop processes that deal with information to run a business efficiently and effectively.
There are different roles within the information technology industry. Analysts, software developers, technical support, IT management, network/system/database administrators are a few various roles that an IT professional can hold.
Each comes with a different job description with different responsibilities with both soft skills and technical skills. It is important to identify which IT role you would be the best fit for your personal career path and career goals.
Applying for IT Positions
To apply for IT positions, you want your resume to highlight the skill sets necessary to work in the industry. Important skills are technology skills, coding, and communication.
Technology skills that can be highlighted are managing quality assurance, integration of IT systems, UX, and app development.
Highlight the different coding languages that you are proficient in. Examples of coding languages to highlight are HTML, C++, C Language, Python, Java, and Ruby.
Communication skills are necessary because IT professionals are both working with each other, and other team members in the business. An IT professional has to be good at active listening and communicate digestedly to those who do not know technology.
Then, you want your resume to display soft skills. An IT resume should include things skills like attention to detail, leadership, multitasking, teamwork, customer service, creativity, and working under high pressure.
Collective List of Interview Questions for IT
In an IT interview, you will be asked common IT interview questions, and more IT-specific. These will be a combination of behavioral interview questions, situational interview questions, and maybe even a brainteaser.
Common Interview Questions
These are job interview questions that can be asked in every interview. But, consider answering these with an IT perspective. Answer them by emphasizing the problem-solving, and time management skills that you have.
- Tell me about yourself
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- What is your dream job?
- Why do you want to work in this position?
- What type of work environment do you thrive in?
- Why should we hire you?
- What type of work style do you have?
For an exhaustive list of all common interview questions and how to answer them, read “How to Masterfully Answer Common Interview Questions”
These questions will be testing your technical knowledge, as well as your work experience.
- What online resources do you use to do an IT job?
- How do you keep your technology skills up to date?
- Pretend that I am not a technology person, explain what [term] entails?
- What are your favorite technologies? What are your least favorite technologies? Why?
- Tell me about a tech project you have worked on in your spare time.
- What are the biggest trends that you see right now in the tech industry?
- How do you interpret and interact with trends in technology?
These topics should be known before going into the interview, in order to be a knowledgeable interviewee.
- Specific company’s culture
- A good description of your last job and how it ties into this new position you are applying for
- Industry trends
- Industry general outlook
- Information lifecycle
- A specific example of a project that you can describe to an interviewer or hiring manager
- Physical and logical parts of ADS
- Domain DNS records
- Critical budgetary items
- Threat vs. vulnerability
- Proprietary source projects
- Open source projects
- Intrusion detection system
- Securing data that moves cloud services
- Source control tools